By Rich Peterson
In a very real way, life is both meaningless and hopeless UNTIL JESUS SHOWS UP.
Life, for a great many people, feels like a condemnation to live in a sunrise/sunset reality for ever and ever without purpose or end. Enslaved to get up, go to work, go to sleep, go to the grave, life is hopelessness and despair. Life, as the existential philosophers claim, is meaningless and nothing.
Not only nothing, but nothing without end – no conclusion, no full stop. On and on the cycles of world history spin – no one can do a thing about it – no one can bring it to an end.
People are discouraged, worn out, hopeless, and full of despair. People live for the moment because it feels like the moment is all that matters. People live trying to fill the emptiness in a self-medicating fashion because that’s the only way to numb their senses enough to survive the meaningless existence. People live without hope for a better future because for them there really is no such thing.
This is why the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus is so enormously important! This is why it is so vital that we hear from God’s word and catch a glimpse of His reality!
What does it look like when Jesus shows up? Revelation 5 provides a peek:
“Do not weep! See the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, has TRIUMPHED…
You are worthy (Jesus)…because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation…
Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!”
May Jesus show up in your life today and every day until the Day!
On your social media, tap out an answer to this question with the link to this blog. Or you can put your answer in the comment section below.
- Do you resonate with the beginning of this devotional? How are you fighting the hopelessness you feel?
- Authenticity in Barbie Land (click here)
- A Prayer To Our Holy Father (click here)
- Celebrate Our Great God (click here)
- Hit The Pause Button and Celebrate (click here)
- Jesus and Solitude (download here)
- The Practice of Solitude (click here)
- Lessons Learned by Grace Sandeno
- The Vendors of La Cancho by Rob and Lisa Atkins
- Gideon-Style Missions by Nikole Hahn