Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! – 2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV
Yap Chang Yen is a Singaporean hipster in his early 40s. Fascinated with US culture, he spent most of his years buying and selling popular American rock band memorabilia in his store in Singapore’s main shopping district. He thought little of Jesus unless it could help him make another buck.
But in October 2020, at the urging of a 30-year-old Singaporean Christian woman named Rena, Chang started attending Crossroads International Church (CIC) where Dr Rick Griffith is lead pastor. God showed him that Jesus is more than just a “Superstar.” After a few months of Sunday afternoon Bible studies with Rena and a teenager named Xavier, Chang then began meeting with Dr Jim Harmeling, Associate Pastor at CIC. These encounters brought him to his ultimate encounter with Jesus.
He’s not your typical looking church-goer. In fact, at a recent Man2Man Bible study, Pastor Rick told him, “Chang, please DO NOT cut your long hair. This actually helps others see Jesus in ways that go beyond our stereotypes!”
Chang eventually trusted Christ and threw away the godless items in his shop, though in worldly eyes, these are quite valuable. On Palm Sunday, Pastor Jim baptized Chang. Chang also is now planning a wedding with Rena as God has made Chang a new man in Christ.
- Would you click here to go to our prayer wall and write a prayer for Yap Chang Yen?
- On your social media, please share this blog link with an answer to the question: When did you become a believer? Share your memories or a favorite Bible verse.
- Explore different opportunities in Singapore by clicking here.
- Interested in serving in Singapore? Complete the GO form by clicking here to speak to someone.
- Read other articles by Dr. Rick Griffith by clicking here.
- Are you wanting to get baptized?
Header Image by Jason Goh from Pixabay